mahout-user mailing list archives

From Grant Ingersoll <gsing...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Embedding mahout in a java app
Date Wed, 02 Nov 2011 14:53:48 GMT

On Nov 2, 2011, at 7:17 AM, Tharindu Mathew wrote:

> I want to create a java UI tool (based on a web app) that can pick and
> apply different algorithms available in Mahout to different data sets.

Very cool!  Keep us posted, as this would be immensely useful!  Any chance it will be donated
back?  :-)

> Hence the embedding with java. Obviously, I understand that everything is
> callable from Java since it's written in Java :).
>
> For example, I want to do a apply a classification (ex: Bayesian) algorithm,
> and train on a data set stored in Cassandra. I don't expect a sample for
> Cassandra but at least a code sample that operates on a data set stored csv
> file that applies an algorithm like Bayesian.
>
> I'd appreciate if you can point me to any code sample for this or something
> similar?

As others have said, MahoutDriver is a common entry point and can run pretty much anything
in Mahout that has a main().  You might also look in $MAHOUT_HOME/examples/bin at the various
shell scripts we've put together that run different examples.  build-reuters, classify-20newsgroups
and build-asf-email (all from trunk) demonstrate a fair amount of classification and clustering
algorithms.  Finally, Unit tests are your friend.

-Grant