mahout-user mailing list archives

From Ted Dunning <ted.dunn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Method "observe" in AbstractCluster
Date Sat, 05 Nov 2011 17:45:55 GMT
Observe means "add an observation" in the sense of a statistical sample
containing a number of observations.

The s0, s1 and s2 instance variables are, I think, the respective sums of
coordinate-wise powers of the observed data (except for s0 which would be
the same for all coordinates).  It is a known issue that accumulating the
moments in this fashion is numerically unstable.