mahout-user mailing list archives

From Sean Owen <sro...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Mahout performance issues
Date Wed, 30 Nov 2011 16:56:18 GMT
Have you used CachingItemSimilarity? That will hold common similarities in
memory. It's a lot easier than pre-computing and might help.

I think something like your change is a good one (Sebastian what do you
think) in that it gives you the ultimate lever to control how many
candidates are evaluated. That ought to make it go as fast as you like, but
it trades off quality. Still I'd be really surprised if there's no viable
middle ground -- this works fine at smaller scale, where 100s of candidates
are evaluated, perhaps, and you can use your lever to get to 100s of
candidates at your scale too. Is that still both slow and inaccurate?