mahout-user mailing list archives

From Marc Sturlese <marc.sturl...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: about DistributedRowMatrix implementation
Date Sat, 01 Oct 2011 10:18:34 GMT
Well after digging into the code and do some tests, I've seen that what I was
asking for is not possible. Mahout will only let you do a distributed matrix
multiplication of 2 sparse matrix, as the representation of a whole row or
column has to feed in memory. Actually have to feed in memory a row and a
column each time (as it uses the CompositeInputFormat).
To do dense matrix multiplication with hadoop just found this:
http://homepage.mac.com/j.norstad/matrix-multiply/index.html
But the data generated by the maps will be extremely huge and the job will
take ages (of course depending of the number of nodes).
I've seed around that Hama and R are possible solutions too. Any advice,
comment or experience?