mahout-user mailing list archives

From Ted Dunning <ted.dunn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Recommendation with a dataset with no/same preference
Date Sun, 11 Sep 2011 19:55:55 GMT
Binary preferences are fine.

In fact, I generally recommend that all ratings and related information be
distilled down to a single binary indicator such as you already have.

The fact that you have so few items will be both your advantage and
disadvantage.  It will help you avoid problems with sparsity and lack of
overlap between users, but it will also make your life harder because theere
aren't so many items to recommend.  This will be exacerbated by your
customers' tendency to exhaustively research items before purchase ... it is
likely that they will know about most related items already.