mahout-user mailing list archives

From Ted Dunning <ted.dunn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Re:Mahout compatibility with GraphLab
Date Thu, 01 Sep 2011 23:05:26 GMT
The 0.23 release branch has been cut, but last I checked (a week or two
ago), YARN was still at the stage of leaking resources.  To me that implies
the need for caution because that usually occurs due to bad lock hygiene.
 That sort of problem really is only reparable with careful and correct
design and once cleanliness is lost, it is very difficult to regain.

On the other hand, my opinion of the life stages for software is VAPOR =>
DESIGN => (BROKEN => FIXED)+ => REALLY_FIXED.  As such, BROKEN is a
necessary step on the road to REALLY_FIXED.  Software is the most visible
expression of original sin, you might say.  Faith and good works are
required to get beyond that point.

Regarding C++, I am pretty sure that is in the road map and probably works
at some level already since so many of the use cases for MR2.0 involve
distributing non-java programs.

On Thu, Sep 1, 2011 at 5:18 PM, Joseph Gonzalez <joseph.e.gonzalez@gmail.com