mahout-user mailing list archives

From Grant Ingersoll <gsing...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Email and Collab. Filtering
Date Tue, 06 Sep 2011 19:56:28 GMT
Ted,

Been meaning to follow up on this...

On Aug 22, 2011, at 11:29 AM, Ted Dunning wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 22, 2011 at 8:21 AM, Daniel Xiaodan Zhou <danithaca@gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> I think this is reasonable. Some suggestions:
>>
>> 1. Instead of using the total number of interactions as cell value, map the
>> number to a 1-5 score based on histogram
>>

> I would map to {0,1} rather than a fake rating scale.

What's your reasoning for this, versus, something like number of replies?  My somewhat naive
intuition thought that I would want to somehow capture the fact that a particular user has
interacted more frequently with an item vs. simply a boolean preference.  Or, is it just that
in the big scheme of things, it won't matter much, so why complicate it?

Thanks,
Grant

Grant Ingersoll
http://www.lucidimagination.com