mahout-user mailing list archives

From Octavian Covalschi <octavian.covals...@gmail.com>
Subject Update files and refresh
Date Wed, 10 Aug 2011 16:12:00 GMT
Hello everyone,

I'm trying to implement a simple user based recommendation engine. As a
start point I have taken the  mahout-taste-webapp, which pretty much fits my
needs for now.

Now I'm trying to figure out how to do regular updates of the input feed
file... From the Mahout in Action book (i know it's not out yet, I've got
early access version) I understood that it's possible to have so called
update files, however it's not clear to me how this works. I'd assume
they're loaded when input file is loaded, but how about if I get new update
files, how can I load them too? Do i have to reload entire thing? Or the
refresh method handles this for me?

The use case is pretty simple. During the day, based on user's activity
there will be new update files and I'd like to process them as well.

Oh, one more question, how many updates files can I have... I'm concerned
that after a while we may have thousands. What's the solution in this case?
I'll have to "merge" them and generate a new input file?

Thank you in advance.