mahout-user mailing list archives

From Marko Ciric <ciric.ma...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Exclude by RuleSet
Date Mon, 04 Jul 2011 11:54:38 GMT
Rescoring is done after an item is processed which would be "too late".
CandidateItemStrategy is the one that returns a set of all possible items
that could be recommended, inside an ItemBasedRecommender so it is done
before any rescoring (and even estimating) is processed. Therefore,
implementing new CandidateItemStrategy should have better performance.

> Hi Marco,
>
> thank you for pointing me to this direction.
>
> Again I have to ask: What would be more efficient? Rescoring or
> CandidateItemStrategy? Where are the differences?
>
> Thanks!
>

> Am 04.07.2011 12:39, schrieb Marko Ciric:
> >
> > Hi Em,
> >
> > If I understood well what you're asking, you could implement a new
> > CandidateItemStrategy class. If you see that interface, there's this
> > method getCandidateItems(long userID, DataModel dataModel) that has all
> > parameters you need in order to filter out items that belong to the
> > unwanted category.
> > This class is actually used inside an item-based recommender.
> >
> > On 07/02/2011 03:53 PM, Em wrote:
> >> Hi Steven,
> >>
> >> That would be the alternative. Create different data-models per
> >> category, yes.
> >>
> >> Does this affect the quality of your recommendations in comparison to a
> >> data-model that contains also not-relevant data for the current
> >> category/situation/social-graph but the unwanted recommendations are
> >> filtered out by a Rescorer?
> >>
> >> Regards,

> problem

> this