mahout-user mailing list archives

From Jeff Eastman <jeast...@Narus.com>
Subject RE: Finding thresholds for canopy
Date Tue, 17 May 2011 15:26:39 GMT
Sure, seems like a reasonable place to start. I will be fascinated to hear how it works.

-----Original Message-----
From: Frank Scholten [mailto:frank@frankscholten.nl]
Sent: Tuesday, May 17, 2011 8:04 AM
To: user@mahout.apache.org
Subject: Re: Finding thresholds for canopy

Hi Jeff,

After building this distance matrix, what would then be a good value
for T2? The average distance in the matrix?

Frank

On Wed, Apr 27, 2011 at 10:57 PM, Jeff Eastman <jeastman@narus.com> wrote:
> Worth a try, but it ultimately boils down to the distance measure you've chosen, the
distributions of input vectors and T2. As a pre-run experiment, you could sample some points
from your data set (e.g. using RandomSeedGenerator as you would to prime k-means), then build
a distance matrix using your chosen distance measure. That would give you a T2 starting point
in a more systematic manner than grabbing it completely out of thin air.

or even a good heuristic to estimate good T1 and T2 from the vectorized data?