mahout-user mailing list archives

From Grant Ingersoll <gsing...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Lucene for UserSimilarity
Date Mon, 23 May 2011 13:59:25 GMT

On May 23, 2011, at 2:40 AM, Uwe Reimann wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm currently integrating mahout's recommendation engine into a site.
>
> I'm not quite clear what DataModel to use. PostgresJdbcDataModel looks handy, but seem
to produce way to many queries. ReloadFromJDBCDataModel seems to address that problem but
still needs to calculate the similarity of a given user to every other user in the system.

> Would it be possible and performant to use lucene to perform the search for the top n
most similar users, provided an index exists where the user id is the document id and the
preferences of the users are the term vectors?

It is certainly possible, but I don't know that Term Vectors will give you the performance
you are looking for.

You might find http://www.lucidimagination.com/search/document/c82c577e1e28259f/problems_with_itembasedrecommender_with_lucene#c82c577e1e28259f
helpful as I think it describes a better way of leveraging Lucene for the problem.   That
being said, doesn't Mahout's recommender have the necessary pieces as well to do what you
want?

-Grant