mahout-user mailing list archives

From Dan Brickley <dan...@danbri.org>
Subject Re: Any visualization scripts for graphing DataModel stats?
Date Mon, 28 Mar 2011 16:24:07 GMT
On 28 March 2011 17:12, Ted Dunning <ted.dunning@gmail.com> wrote:

> The standard tool in the visualization community (besides R) is processing.
>
> I should have mentioned it before.  I haven't used it, but the gallery and
> simplicity seem to make for an easy on-ramp.
>
> http://processing.org/

As a coding language, Processing is essentially Java repackaged so as not to
scare off arty people. Plus a bunch of nice APIs of course.

Rather impressively, this has been ported to run via Javascript in the
browser: http://processingjs.org/  ...and there are already efforts at
hooking that version up with browser-based OpenGL aka WebGL.
http://asalga.wordpress.com/2010/05/24/webgl-browser-stress-tests-using-processing-js/

Random aside: see http://learningwebgl.com/blog/?p=1828 for experiments in
offloading matrix processing to the graphics card, and
http://learningwebgl.com/blog/?p=3396 for more serious news in this
direction; according to
http://www.khronos.org/news/press/releases/khronos-releases-final-webgl-1.0-specificationthere
will be a WebCL Javascript API to expose OpenCL functionality:
"Khronos
is also today announcing the formation of the WebCL™ working group to
explore defining a JavaScript binding to the Khronos OpenCL™ standard for
heterogeneous parallel computing.  WebCL creates the potential to harness
GPU and multi-core CPU parallel processing from a Web browser, enabling
significant acceleration of applications such as image and video processing
and advanced physics for WebGL games. ".

Other js dataviz: http://www.jeromecukier.net/?p=623 (protovis howto),
http://thejit.org/ http://www.highcharts.com/ ... and, aw... there's new
stuff every day. Oh and while I'm closing browser tabs, here's a book on R
and graphics: http://www.stat.auckland.ac.nz/~paul/RGraphics/rgraphics.html

Anyhow back to my original question. There seems some consensus that R is
amongst the most natural tools to use as  utility alongside Mahout. So my
little plea was to see whether anyone has some basic general R scripts to
contrib to the Mahout community for poking around Mahout Taste datamodel
files. Not rocket science, but a pity for everyone to reinvent those same
wheels...

cheers,

Dan