mahout-user mailing list archives

From Marek Stefaniak <marek.stefan...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Mahout and online machine learning
Date Sat, 05 Feb 2011 01:56:11 GMT
Thank you for your reply.
I put my comments in the text

2011/2/5 Ted Dunning <ted.dunning@gmail.com>

> Some answers,
>
> a) Mahout is not ready for use in applications that will kill people if
> they
> fail

All the time talking about unmanned aircraft, but I wonder maturity of the
project.Particularly in the context of high misclassification rates (which is
not a problem insystems like "we recommend you ...") and the type of input
data (numerical data instead of text). Is the mahout is an appropriate tool for
me?

> b) if you have a situation where you have training examples that you have
> classified and labeled, then Mahout online classifiers may help.

It is difficult to provide a broad collection of labeled examples. (difficult
to predict allpossible instances of emergencies). In my application will be
key features "fuzzylabeling"- which means the answer to the question. How "far
" I was at this time ofdisaster
I read about a similar system
http://www.nasa.gov/centers/dryden/pdf/104760main_H-2575.pdf, who
intensively uses various types of neural networks used for theoptimization
and minimization. Intuitively, it seems to me that neural networks are
particularly suited to working with numerical data. Is this true?
.

--

Pozdrawiam,
Marek Stefaniak