mahout-user mailing list archives

From Sean Owen <sro...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Recommeding on Dynamic Content
Date Tue, 01 Feb 2011 09:52:19 GMT
One approach is to use user-user similarities. Those build up over time
based on historical data, but can be used to produce recommendations for
brand-new items going forward.

It still has a cold-start problem; until anyone connects to one of those new
items, it can't be recommended.

Another approach is to use the item's characteristics to determine some
notion of similarity, in the absence of clicks. That's what you're doing and
it's a great approach.

You can also consider hybrid approaches. You could try to mix
recommendations based on two different approaches -- clicks-based and
content-based. The problem is knowing how to mix things since the scores are
not at all comparable.

That Elkan / Menon paper has an elegant theoretical formulation of a
recommender that uses both ratings and side info at the same time.