mahout-user mailing list archives

From Dmitriy Lyubimov <dlie...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Recommeding on Dynamic Content
Date Thu, 03 Feb 2011 04:54:08 GMT
I am basically retracing generalization of the Bayesian inference
problem given in Yahoo paper. I am too lazy to go back for a quote.

 The SVD problem was discussed at meetups, basically the criticism
here is that for RxC matrix whenever there's a missing measurement,
one can't specify 'no measurement' but rather have to leave it at some
neutral value (0? average?) which is essentially nothing but a noise
since it's not a sample. As one guy from Stanford demonstrated on
Netflix data, the whole system collapses very quickly after certain
threshold of sample sparsity is reached.