mahout-user mailing list archives

From Dmitriy Lyubimov <dlie...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Recommeding on Dynamic Content
Date Thu, 03 Feb 2011 06:08:31 GMT
Yahoo is building what they say 2-stage hierarchical model. I am not
arguing that they use EM etc. to solve individual stages. I understand
that. I am not arguing that they are primarily motivated by solving
cold start problem. I understand that as well.

but what they build is similar reasoning, if not the same, as here :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hierarchical_Bayes_model Is it not? It is
possible i am mixing things here, this hierarchy is not directly
Bayesian, but motivation here is similar?

I am just saying that we can generalize problem to hierarchies that
don't have to be 2-stage. That's all.
I am also saying that a practical problem i have at hand is also more
than 2 stage. I don't know what would be the best way to solve it. But
it seems to me that hierarchical learning analogous to these could be
extended to a more general case with multiple hierarchies on the side
info or even user/item content profiles.

For example, say sometimes user & item interact and you always know
time of the day when it happen. (just sheer example). but sometimes
(far from always) you also happen to know the weather. or/and Geo
where it happen. Can't we make use of that information with an
addiiton of another stage to the hierarchy?