mahout-user mailing list archives

From Vasil Vasilev <vavasi...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Problem in distributed canopy clustering
Date Fri, 11 Feb 2011 14:35:03 GMT
Sorry, I have a mistake in my point. The problem will occur in case x1 and
x3 are withing T1 range and x2 and x4 are within T1 range, but x1 and x4 are
outside T1 range.
Say all vectors are 1-dimensional and x1=1, x2=2, x3=5 and x4=6. Also T1=3.1
and T2=4.1 Then the sequential variant which iterates the clusters in the
order x1,x2,x3,x4 will produce 2 clusters: cluster1 = (1+2+5)/3 = 2.67 and
cluster2 = (5+6)/2 = 5.5
The map reduce variant for mapper 1, that takes x1 and x3 will produce 2
clusters: cluster1m1 = (1+5)/2 = 3 and cluster2m1 = 5
For mapper 2, that takes x2 and x4 will produce 2 clusters: cluster1m2 =
(2+6)/2 = 4 and cluster2m2 = 6
The reducer will produce only 1 cluster = (3+5+4+6)/4 = 4.5

In case I have a mistake somewhere in my calculations or I omit something,
please ignore my comment