mahout-user mailing list archives

From Markus Weimer <mar...@weimo.de>
Subject Re: Two learning competitions that might be of interest for Mahout
Date Tue, 15 Feb 2011 19:04:50 GMT
Hi,

Given that I published (one of?) the first recommender algorithms that
aimed at directly predicting the top-k for a given question, I am
somewhat sympathetic to your point. It is true that in most recommender
systems, one in the end only produces a ranked list of items, so why not
go for it?

However, the underlying data collected from Yahoo! Music over the past
couple of years consists of the ratings given by the users, so there is
little to change about the underlying data.

Regarding the evaluation measure: While I do believe that ranking
measures such as NDCG are more indicative (can't contradict myself here
;-) ), there is no generally accepted ranking measure to use. I have
also been convinced both by my own experiments and the community that
just about any ranking measure correlates well with RMSE.

Hope this helps,

Markus