mahout-user mailing list archives

From Sean Owen <sro...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Interpreting the output of SVD
Date Mon, 22 Nov 2010 18:10:14 GMT
Hmm. I think I need to fix the second half of my analogy.

It's really U x S that could be said to be users' preferences for
pseudo-items. and S x VT could be said to be pseudo-users preferences for
real items. S itself is a diagonal matrix of course and those values are
kind of like "scaling factors" ... but I actually struggle to come up with a
good intuitive explanation of what S itself is (or really, U and V by
themselves).

Anyone smarter have a nice pithy analogy?