mahout-user mailing list archives

From Fernando Fernández <fernando.fernandez.gonza...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Lanczos Algorithm
Date Tue, 23 Nov 2010 16:32:09 GMT
Hi Jake,

You say that LanczosSolver leaves the eigenvalues in the reverse order that
I expect, but, at least the eigenvectors are given in the same order, aren't
they? I mean, If I want the top N eigenvalues and eigenvectors, and i ask
for 4N, I should take the last N eigenvalues and the N eigenvectors, right?
I read also that there is an issue regarding the number of eigenvalues and
eigenvectors that are returned when you ask LanczosSolver for N of them, and
I have checked that if I ask for 40, for example, I get only 39. Will this
leave out the biggest eigenvector and eigenvalue or the smallest one, or
none of these? I spent the last weeks reading abouth this in the discussions
but it's not very clear for me yet.

Could you give us some help?

By the way, I'm interested in having Uk  and also V*S(-1) so i'm able to
project new rows into the U space...

Thanks in advance!!