mahout-user mailing list archives

From Ted Dunning <ted.dunn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Alternative Naive Bayes Datastore?
Date Fri, 17 Sep 2010 18:15:19 GMT
The only significant advantages that I am aware of are that our linear
algebra code have in themselves are

- alternative sparse vector formats that can result in substantial speedups
for certain operations

- solid interfaces with hadoop in the form of our VectorWritable

- we still have a flexible compatibility policy so that if there is
something you need, we can add it in less than a year.  We originally wanted
to use commons math, but they couldn't add the capabilities we needed in a
reasonable time frame.

Of course, another advantage is that the Mahout machine learning code uses
them so if you use them, you can interface more easily with our stuff.  But
that isn't really an intrinsic advantage.