mahout-user mailing list archives

From Ted Dunning <ted.dunn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Alternative Naive Bayes Datastore?
Date Thu, 16 Sep 2010 22:20:02 GMT
On Thu, Sep 16, 2010 at 3:06 PM, Dean Jones <dean.m.jones@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Ted,
>
> On 16 September 2010 20:48, Ted Dunning <ted.dunning@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Do those implementations have something Mahout doesn't?
> >
> > It isn't that I expect that you could switch, just looking to make ours
> as
> > good as anything reasonable.
> >

> I think there may be some confusion, apologies if I wasn't clear. I
> didn't mean to suggest that we would contribute our sparse vector code
> (for a start, I know that Mahout has it's own linear algebra library
> and doesn't need ours) but that we'd happily contribute the
> jdbm-backed implementation of the Mahout Bayes Datastore that we have,
> if (i) you'd like it, and (ii) we can find a resolution to the problem
> of storing Mahout vectors in jdbm.

I understood that.  What I was hoping for was feedback on how our sparse
vectors could be made better based on comparison with your internal library.

I was also suggesting that in other areas, interface with Mahout might be
made very easy without forcing you to migrate your current vector package
very much.  That is a particular
interest since this is the first potential use case for a user masquerading
their vector package
as compatible with Mahout vectors.