mahout-user mailing list archives

From hdev ml <hde...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Question about data warehousing and mining through Mahout
Date Tue, 31 Aug 2010 23:03:26 GMT
Thanks Chris for the answers.

1. The data is just going to grow. This 1.5TB of data is just from one
module. There are other modules, which may have similar kind of data in the
log. After discarding the data this 3.0TB becomes 1.5TB. It is still huge.
Since this is just a months data, and we would want to make use of atleast
past 6-12 months, the data size goes in the 10TB-20TB area. So I am guessing
Hadoop is the right answer. I am just not sure which sub-project to use in
this case.

2. When you say querying with Hive, note that I want to use the same hive
data for future data mining, so my question was -- can that be done with
Mahout integrating with Hive layer, instead of Hadoop layer directly. or
Maybe we can use the Hive data directly if at all I can reverse engineer the
data format that hive uses internally. Hopefully it does not have compressed
data.

3. Hhhmm..That seems like a very good suggestion. I am not averse to the
idea of writing my own implementation of mining algorithms. I am just
worried about their accuracy and stability. So summary is basically do the
transformation and statistical part first. When it comes to data mining,
write your own algorithms or use Mahout (if at all hive integration is
possible, or maybe reuse the raw text files or output dump of Hive tables)