mahout-user mailing list archives

From Sean Owen <sro...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Best way to do a recommendation engine based on CLR (Click Through Rate)
Date Wed, 28 Jul 2010 07:31:11 GMT
Yes, preferences are merely an indicator of the strength of an
association. They aren't necessarily from explicit ratings; you could
base this figure on click through counts.

You do not need to scale the values; the particular scale does not
matter to any algorithm.

However one important lesson is that mapping associations to numbers
in the 'wrong' way can significantly harm the result. For example, 1
click is much much more significant than 0. 2 clicks is more
significant than 1. But are 10 clicks 5 times stronger than 2?
probably not. Maybe it's a favorite, but after "several" clicks the
additional clicks mean little more.

So for instance I might begin your experiments by using the log of the
click count as the pref value.

And then there's other issues like normalizing, throwing out spurious
clicks and spam, etc.

Sean