mahout-user mailing list archives

From Jake Mannix <jake.man...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: NMF on Mahout?
Date Mon, 26 Apr 2010 18:14:12 GMT
On Mon, Apr 26, 2010 at 11:04 AM, Peter Harrington <
peter.b.harrington@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
> I have two simple questions:
> 1. Is there a Non-negative Matrix Factorization algorithim for Mahout?  I
> did not see one in the algorithms section of the Mahout Wiki.

We do not currently have NMF in Mahout.  Latent factor methods we
do have are SVD and LDA.

> I have a matrix that has 3,000,000 by 70,000 entries, however it is very
> sparse.  It could be broken down to 60,000,000 non-zero data points.
>
> 2. Am I better off using R, than Mahout?

60 million doubles as a data set fits in memory (~0.5GB), and depending on
what algorithm you use, if you stay sparse, you should be fine in R.  If
you do something which has dense intermediate results, you'll be toast,
however.

  -jake