mahout-user mailing list archives

From Sean Owen <sro...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: weighted score
Date Tue, 23 Feb 2010 11:49:54 GMT
Yes I want to keep thinking about this. I'm not satisfied that the
right answer is clear.

Ted do you have any standard advice about how people do weighted
averages when weights are negative?

Capping the estimated preference could be reasonable in practice. It
feels funny, but, it's also rare that the weighted average comes out
negative. And, it merely affects estimates on items that are not going
to be recommended.

I'd have to add to recommenders an ability to specify the minimum and
maximum possible preference. Not hard.

Any thoughts on this?