mahout-user mailing list archives

From Claudio Martella <claudio.marte...@tis.bz.it>
Subject about user/item scaling
Date Sat, 27 Feb 2010 18:28:07 GMT
Hi,

I'm gettin into mahout through the reading of Mahout in action. I'm
pretty curious about this sentence:

[talking about item-based an user-based reccomendation systems]

"They do have notably different properties. For instance, the running
time of an item-based
recommender scales up as the number of items increases, whereas a
user-based recommender’s
running time goes up as the number of users increases.
This suggests one reason that you might choose an item-based
recommender: if the number of users
is relatively low compared to the number of items, the performance
advantage could be significant."

How would the item-based recommender be a good choice with a huge number
of items if the item-based recommender's cost grows with the number of
items?

thanks

--
Claudio Martella
Digital Technologies

TIS innovation park
Via Siemens 19 | Siemensstr. 19
39100 Bolzano | 39100 Bozen
Tel. +39 0471 068 123
Fax  +39 0471 068 129
claudio.martella@tis.bz.it http://www.tis.bz.it

Short information regarding use of personal data. According to Section 13 of Italian Legislative
Decree no. 196 of 30 June 2003, we inform you that we process your personal data in order
to fulfil contractual and fiscal obligations and also to send you information regarding our
services and events. Your personal data are processed with and without electronic means and
by respecting data subjects' rights, fundamental freedoms and dignity, particularly with regard
to confidentiality, personal identity and the right to personal data protection. At any time
and without formalities you can write an e-mail to privacy@tis.bz.it in order to object the
processing of your personal data for the purpose of sending advertising materials and also
to exercise the right to access personal data and other rights referred to in Section 7 of
Decree 196/2003. The data controller is TIS Techno Innovation Alto Adige, Siemens Street n.
19, Bolzano. You can find the complete information on the web site www.tis.bz.it.