mahout-user mailing list archives

From Claudio Martella <claudio.marte...@tis.bz.it>
Subject Re: item-based recommendation neighbourhood size
Date Sat, 20 Feb 2010 13:05:24 GMT
Sean Owen wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 20, 2010 at 12:46 PM, Claudio Martella
> <claudio.martella@tis.bz.it> wrote:
>
>> Can we rephrase jamborta's idea by saying that an item's neighboorhood
>> can be created by putting
>> "around" an item all those items that have been rated by the same users
>> with similar ratings?
>>

> Yes, that's how I would define a neighborhood around anything: things
> that are similar / closest. "Similar" could indeed be based on user
> ratings (this is what PearsonCorrelationSimilarity does).
>

>> neighboorhood for items. What you can do now, is take your user's items
>> and see what's near them.
>>
>> This is probably a rephrase of user-based recommendation, though.
>>

> I wouldn't say you're describing user-based reocommendation. You've
> correctly described defining a neighborhood of similar items. This is
> how ItemBasedRecommender.mostSimilarItems() works, indeed.
>
> But that method is not computing recommendations.

Can't i recommend you the items around the items you like? why isn't it
computing recommendations?

>  And I thought the
> question was, why doesn't an item neighborhood enter into a
> recommender computation? It doesn't at the moment, and I mentioned
> above how it could, but why it might not help or be beneficial. But I
> haven't tried it.
>
> But yes maybe that remains the issue here... what's the question
> exactly about item neighborhoods? Their definition is clear; the use
> is not as much.

I agree.

--
Claudio Martella
Digital Technologies

TIS innovation park
Via Siemens 19 | Siemensstr. 19
39100 Bolzano | 39100 Bozen
Tel. +39 0471 068 123
Fax  +39 0471 068 129
claudio.martella@tis.bz.it http://www.tis.bz.it

Short information regarding use of personal data. According to Section 13 of Italian Legislative
Decree no. 196 of 30 June 2003, we inform you that we process your personal data in order
to fulfil contractual and fiscal obligations and also to send you information regarding our
services and events. Your personal data are processed with and without electronic means and
by respecting data subjects' rights, fundamental freedoms and dignity, particularly with regard
to confidentiality, personal identity and the right to personal data protection. At any time
and without formalities you can write an e-mail to privacy@tis.bz.it in order to object the
processing of your personal data for the purpose of sending advertising materials and also
to exercise the right to access personal data and other rights referred to in Section 7 of
Decree 196/2003. The data controller is TIS Techno Innovation Alto Adige, Siemens Street n.
19, Bolzano. You can find the complete information on the web site www.tis.bz.it.