mahout-user mailing list archives

From Grant Ingersoll <gsing...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Re : Good starting instance for AMI
Date Mon, 18 Jan 2010 15:20:06 GMT

On Jan 18, 2010, at 10:07 AM, Drew Farris wrote:

> Sounds great.
>
> It might be handy to include with the AMI a local maven repo
> pre-populated with build dependencies to shorten the build time as
> well.

Running as I type...

> I wonder if the CDH2 ami's could be used as a starting point? Not sure
> if you're allowed to unbundle and modify public AMI's. It would
> certainly be more difficult to start from scratch.

I'd prefer to be dependent on the official Apache distro that we use.

> Amazon hosts some public datasets for free:
> http://aws.amazon.com/publicdatasets/
> Perhaps the mahout test data in vector form could be bundled up into a
> snapshot that could be re-used by anyone.

Yes!  I would welcome help on this.  I also wonder if we can talk to Amazon about hosting
that data publicly so that we don't have to pay for it.  Either that or maybe we could ask
the ASF for some small budget to do so.

Any insight from those w/ more experience would be greatly appreciated.  I can talk to the
Amazon contact who runs the Apache donation project.

-Grant