mahout-user mailing list archives

From Ted Dunning <ted.dunn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Taste-GenericItemBasedRecommender
Date Thu, 03 Dec 2009 17:34:03 GMT
I think that the question here is how to generate the A' A product.

If so, then answer is to read one row of A at a time and emit all of the
product pairs that could happen from that row.  The key is the row and
column in the result matrix.

More precisely:

    map: i, A[i,*]  =>  foreach j foreach k yield ((j,k), A[i,j] * A[i,k])
    combine and reduce: (j,k), values => (j, k), sum(values)

The output is A'A in triple form.  You might be able to do a trick with
sorting and just use j as the key.  Then you could emit an entire row at a
time.

A second MR needs to produce row sums of A'A.

This product may require down-sampling of non-sparse rows of A because it is
quadratic in the densest row count.  I usually just use random sampling for
any row with more than several hundred entries.  This is defensible because
little additional information is gained after the first hundred or so
entries.

--
Ted Dunning, CTO
DeepDyve