mahout-user mailing list archives

From James James <recommendersys...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: GPL-licensed kfs0.3 for building mahout
Date Wed, 30 Dec 2009 21:34:25 GMT
It seems that I got the wrong KFS. I guess the correct one used  in Mahout is

http://sourceforge.net/projects/kosmosfs/

Which is licensed under Apache 2.0

Sorry for the confusion.

James

________________________________
From: Ken Krugler <kkrugler_lists@transpac.com>
To: mahout-user@lucene.apache.org
Sent: Wed, December 30, 2009 2:56:12 PM
Subject: Re: GPL-licensed kfs0.3 for building mahout

On Dec 30, 2009, at 11:46am, James James wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I examined all the jar files needed for building mahout-0.2 jar. There is one jar file
called kfs-0.3.jar which is GPL-licensed.

Really? From what I could find, it's under Apache  2.0:

http://blog.kosmix.com/kosmix-technology/kosmos-filesystem-release/

Though it seems odd that the jar is in the org.apache.mahout.kosmofs groupId, vs. org.kosmix
(with artifactId of kosmosfs)

-- Ken
> I am not an expert on open source licenses, but my understanding is that GPL is viral.
Mahout itself is licensed under Apache License, but does its dependence on this GPL-licensed
jar file contaminate itself? This issue seems to also be relevant for Hadoop since Hadopp
seems to rely on this kfs-0.3.jar too.

> Is there any way to build mahout-0.2 without relying on kfs-0.3.jar?
>
> Thanks so very much.

Ken Krugler
+1 530-210-6378
http://bixolabs.com