mahout-user mailing list archives

From Isabel Drost <isa...@apache.org>
Subject Re: download mahout-0.2 release
Date Thu, 10 Dec 2009 12:26:42 GMT
On Thu Grant Ingersoll <gsingers@apache.org> wrote:
> Keep in mind that we may not be able to redistribute all jars, which
> is why we rely on Maven, for better or worse.

As for the jars we depend on:

I assume that not all of Mahout depends on all libraries. Say the
clustering code certainly does not depend on HBase. Especially for those
users who do not want to use maven for their project, it might be pretty
interesting to know, which libraries are needed by the components they
are specifically interested in.

That way they only need to download what is really needed. Maybe it
might be helpful for them to have a list of deep links into the
repositories where we draw our dependencies from.

I generally do not like the idea of forcing our users to use maven to
comfortably work with Mahout. I also think it could be scary to those
using maven to see the classpath of their project filled with lots and
lots of jars that they may not even need for the particular algorithm
they are interested in?

Isabel