mahout-user mailing list archives

From Sean Owen <sro...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Mahout/Taste covariance between two items
Date Fri, 27 Nov 2009 12:01:04 GMT
I'm not so familiar with this formula but you seem to be missing
something in the denominator... it's got to normalize somehow. I think
I said divide by standard deviation but that's not quite it. What you
are really summing are the products of z-scores.  See
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pearson_product-moment_correlation_coefficient

But I think you should just use the formulation given in the code?
should be the same result. At least I hope these aren't different
definitions of Pearson!