mahout-user mailing list archives

From Sean Owen <sro...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Mahout and DAO connection
Date Thu, 26 Nov 2009 11:02:17 GMT
Yes everything looks fine here, but with one key issue.
It seems you are trying to recommender "users" to "items" in the
second case. That is not what an item-based recommender does -- it
still recommenders items to users.

To do what you want, you need to transpose user and item IDs in your
DataModel, then use any algorithm you like. It's a two-line change to
the line where you make a GenericPreference. Maybe create a flag in
the constructor that controls this so you can reuse the model in both
cases.

It does mean you need a separate model, yes.

PS I think your model-building will use a lot of memory at peak --
that map of Collection<Preference> will be a lot bigger than the final
data set. You can instead build PreferenceArray directly, note.