mahout-user mailing list archives

From "Patterson, Josh" <jpatters...@tva.gov>
Subject RE: mahout examples
Date Sun, 22 Nov 2009 21:39:02 GMT
Ted,

Good to see some suggested reading, today I was also thinking that possibly we could agree
on a canonical time series example data set to reference and test on since it seems like everyone
has slight variations in what sort of "time series" data they are using. It would also be
easier for me to discuss techniques when using a known example dataset as a common reference
point. When talking about decomposition techniques it would probably make it somewhat more
consistent well, and then anyone could work out from there to adapt it to their specific needs,
add "secret sauce", etc.

Josh Patterson
TVA

-----Original Message-----
From: Ted Dunning [mailto:ted.dunning@gmail.com]
Sent: Sun 11/22/2009 1:58 PM
To: mahout-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Re: mahout examples

This has connections back to the theoretical literature on dynamical systems
where the term "symbolic dynamics" is used to refer to the investigation of
the sequences of symbols that can be produced by various complex systems
depending on the quantization of the state space.  The important take-away
from that world is that essentially all of the important dynamical
properties of a system can be described by using the appropriate
quantization.  Of course, figuring out what the appropriate quantization is
can be a major problem, but for many systems, almost any non-trivial
quantization is useful.

The use of a long n-grams also has analogies in state-space embedding of
dynamical systems where you don't have access to the full state of a system
but instead use repeated measurements to substitute for the the full state.
Again, in many cases you can do as much with an embedded state-space as you
could with the (unobservable) full state.  A great example is the classic
dripping faucet problem (Shaw's paper isn't available, but this follow-up
is: http://metal.elte.hu/botond/pdf/CHA00059.pdf).  One of the original
papers on the subject of state-space reconstruction is available on-line at
http://cos.cumt.edu.cn/jpkc/dxwl/zl/zl1/Physical%20Review%20Classics/statistical/132.pdf

The point here is that n-gram techniques for time series are really not at
all far-fetched.

--
Ted Dunning, CTO
DeepDyve