mahout-user mailing list archives

From michal shmueli <michal.shmu...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: problems with GenericRecommenderIRStatsEvaluator:
Date Thu, 05 Nov 2009 06:58:36 GMT
Thanks ! Sean.
The eval now terminates successfully.
If I may, i have few more clarifications questions:

1. At the end of the eval run I'm getting this information:
09/11/04 15:59:48 INFO grouplens.
GroupLensRecommenderEvaluatorRunner:
IRStatisticsImpl[precision:0.2960713,recall:0.170202808,fallOut:6.6057273888005836E-5]

Is this the aggregated statistics over all users?

2. Given that these are the params that i use for eval:
 IRStatistics stats =
      evaluator.evaluate(new GroupLensRecommenderBuilder(),
null,model, null, 5, 1.0,0.7);

Just to make it more clear, for the 0.7 (last param), does it mean that for
each user we use 70% of the data to learn and 30% for test?

3. Scalability of the Boolean recommneder ? I'm using this setting:

UserSimilarity userSimilarity = new
TanimotoCoefficientSimilarity(dataModel);
UserNeighborhood neighborhood =  new NearestNUserNeighborhood(10, 0.0,
userSimilarity, dataModel, 1.0);
 recommender = new CachingRecommender(new
GenericBooleanPrefUserBasedRecommender(dataModel, neighborhood,
userSimilarity));

Is this recommender is scalable by the number of users?

4. Some issue that I still didn't understand... I know that the Taste demo
doesn't required Hadoop.
I wonder when the Hadoop is required? Thus, assume I implemented these 4
steps:

   - DataModel
   - UserSimilarity and ItemSimilarity
   - UserNeighborhood
   - Recommender

Now, assume that I use some existing classes (the Boolean), where exactly
(if at all) the Hadoop is required? I can't find good documentation that
explain this issue.

Cheers,
Michal