mahout-user mailing list archives

From Jeff Eastman <j...@windwardsolutions.com>
Subject Re: String clustering and other newbie questions
Date Fri, 28 Aug 2009 18:09:57 GMT
Well, all of the clustering code is based upon clustering points in an
n-dimensional vector space and all of the APIs operate upon Vectors. We
do support the ability to attach a label binding Map to a Vector which
can map Strings into integer index values. Once this has been done you
can access the vector values symbolically. I'm not sure this will help
with your problem and you may need to write your own Canopy.

If you can post some examples of the values you wish to cluster and
something of your distance measure then I will see if I can figure out a
way to help you further.

Jeff

Juan Francisco Contreras Gaitan wrote:
> Thank you so much for your quick reply.
>
> Unfortunately, I'm afraid that there is no way of massaging my strings into doubles,
because the distance measure would have no sense in terms of doubles. Could you please give
me some clue to write the required code in order to solve this difficulty?

> Thank you very much again.
>
> Regards,
> jfcg
>

>> Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2009 08:49:38 -0700
>> From: jdog@windwardsolutions.com
>> To: mahout-user@lucene.apache.org
>> Subject: Re: String clustering and other newbie questions
>>
>> Juan Francisco Contreras Gaitan wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I would like to do some clustering by using Hadoop and I found Mahout. I am really
impressed, but as a newbie I got stuck and I have several questions. The idea is to do string
clustering: I have properties values expressed as strings of some resources, and I would like
to aggregate these resources. I use Eclipse as IDE, and I have two Mahout working projects,
one with release version (0.1) and the other one with SVN version. I am able to compile examples
and to run them on my own Hadoop cluster. I have focused on Synthetic Control Data example
using Canopy algorithm because of its similarity to my problem.

>>> - on release version with default parameter values I get all the items on the
same cluster (C1), is it normal?

>> Are you running the Synthetic Control example data here? That example -
>> I just ran it on trunk - should produce 6 clusters in one file. It is
>> binary encoded though, and difficult to interpret in textual
>> representation. If you search for the string 'SparseVector' in the
>> canopies/part-0000 file you should see six instances.
>>
>>> - on SVN version I don't have a readable output because there is no implemented
OutputDriver. If I use the same as release version, I got exceptions (I think that format
has changed between releases, for example using '{' symbol instead of '[')

>> The output formats of all the clustering routines are now sequence files
>> which are binary encoded. The old OutputDriver won't handle it.
>>
>>> - I use string values instead of double values. I have implemented my own string
distance that returns a double when parameters are string, but I think that Mahout Vectors
are implemented just to store double values. Is there any chance to use string values?