mahout-user mailing list archives

From Sean Owen <sro...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: recommender on binary data
Date Tue, 28 Jul 2009 15:18:11 GMT
Yeah I just mean that it should in theory always return 1.0, but it
doesn't, in order to return something useful. Take a look at
estimatePreference(). It is just adding up all the similarity values
that anybody in the neighborhood has to the item. This simply favors
items that more users like you are associated to, which is a
reasonable heuristic for ordering the recommendations.

On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 4:15 PM, James James<recommendersystem@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Thanks, can you elaborate a little bit on "I abuse the value of the estimated
> preference in this case to return differing values depending on the
> strength of the association between the user and item". Is this reflected in the codes
somewhere?

> Thanks,

test items. If the return value of estimatePreference() is all the same for all the test items,
how does the method recommend() decide the order in which it puts each test item on the ordered
list.