mahout-user mailing list archives

From Sean Owen <sro...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: problems with taste.
Date Wed, 15 Jul 2009 10:16:55 GMT
OK, hmm well it was kind of a long shot anyway. It should have worked even so.

I see one data file attached. There are some blank lines at the top,
though I don't think that will matter.

You are putting quotes around the names. That means the item IDs have
quotes in their names, which is not what I think you intend. For
example, you do not have an item named 'red', you have an item named
'"red"' in your model. If you are looking for recommendations that
include the item 'red' you will not find any. But somehow I suspect
this is not the problem you are talking about.

What algorithm are you using -- one involving a correlation-based
similarity metric like Pearson? I ask because most of your ratings
have exactly the same rating, which will cause correlations to be
undefined in some cases. You also have relatively little data. It may
be that there are simply few or no defined similarities between users
in the model and so no recommendations can be made.

Add more, or more realistic, data and you should see better results perhaps.

But I still then can't explain why two copies of the same file give
different results. I might have to see the code.
Yes do not send anything confidential.