mahout-user mailing list archives

From Ted Dunning <ted.dunn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Decompose Compound Words?
Date Tue, 28 Jul 2009 05:47:59 GMT
This is pretty easily done with a language model with at least reasonable
models.

The basic idea is to use a noisy channel model to say that there is an
underlying "true" query that is corrupted by a noise process to get what we
observe.  We want to find the most likely "true" query.  With some simple
assumptions about the noise model, we can estimate a simple language model
and the parameters of the noise model.  This allows us to reconstruct an
estimate of the "true" query for each novel query that we get.

In practice, the noise model does not usually cause massive change in the
query.  That means that as a first approximation, we can use the observed
queries to initialize the language model.  Then, we can alternate steps
finding a noise model (using queries held out from the language model
estimation) and then deriving a sharpened estimate of the language model.

For many of these spelling correction problems, the initial estimate of the
language and noise models are good enough to use as is.

A very moderate application of heuristics, usually regarding the form of
acceptable corruptions that might be present in the noise process, or strong
expectations on the frequency of certain corruptions, or some hand annotated
queries is often very helpful.

--
Ted Dunning, CTO
DeepDyve