mahout-user mailing list archives

From Grant Ingersoll <gsing...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Clustering from DB
Date Mon, 27 Jul 2009 16:41:31 GMT

On Jul 27, 2009, at 12:03 PM, Ted Dunning wrote:

> Yes.
>
> That explains why Jeff didn't see the slow down with dense vectors.

Not following.  The distance calc stuff is irrespective of the type of
Vector.  I was referring to the centroid length square (I think you
called it the triangle inequality) stuff that Shashikant added on
MAHOUT-121.  We use it for testing convergence, but not for other
distance calculations.  I haven't looked to see if it is applicable
yet, but it seems like it should be.

> On Mon, Jul 27, 2009 at 8:03 AM, Grant Ingersoll
> <gsingers@apache.org>wrote:
>
>> Hmm, some profiling shows the pain is in the distance calculation for
>> emitPointToNearestCluster.  Seems that we only use the optimized
>> distance
>> calculations for testing convergence, but shouldn't we also use it
>> for
>> calculating the distances to the cluster, too?
>

> --
> Ted Dunning, CTO
> DeepDyve

Grant Ingersoll