mahout-user mailing list archives

From nfantone <nfant...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Clustering from DB
Date Wed, 01 Jul 2009 13:37:38 GMT
Ok, so I managed to write a VectorIterable implementation to draw data
from my database. Now, I'm in the process of understanding the output
file that kMeans (with a Canopy input) produces. Someone, please,
correct me if I'm mistaken. At first, my thought was that there were
as many "cluster-i" directories as clusters detected from the dataset
by the algorithm(s), until I printed out the content of the
"part-00000" file in them. It seems as though it stores a <Writable>
cluster ID and then a <Writable> Cluster, each line. Are those all the
actual clusters detected? If so, what's the reason behind the
directory nomenclature and its consecutive enumeration? Does every
"part-00000", in different "cluster-i" directories, hold different
clusters? And, what about the "points" directory? I can tell it
follows a <VectorID, Value> register format. What's that value
supposed to represent? The ID from the cluster it belongs, perhaps?

There really ought to be documentation about this somewhere. I don't
know if I need some kind of permission, but I'm offering myself to
write it and upload it to the Mahout wiki or wherever it should be,
once I finished my project.

Thanks in advanced.