mahout-user mailing list archives

From J Cabb <>
Subject Help with Installation Instructions
Date Mon, 08 Jun 2009 00:21:07 GMT
I'm trying to follow the instructions on I am working on an
Ubuntu machine.

I've downloaded from svn the trunk at revision level 782477

1. {MAHOUT-ROOT} cd trunk
2. mvn install

This step failed because of a single test failure:

Tests run: 1, Failures: 1, Errors: 0, Skipped: 0, Time elapsed: 5.568 sec

3. cd core
4. mvn compile

[Build Successful]

5. mvn install

[Build successful]

6. cd ../examples/
7. mvn compile

This build step failed with this message:

[INFO] Failed to resolve artifact.

1) org.apache.mahout:mahout-core:jar:0.2-SNAPSHOT

  Then, install it using the command:
      mvn install:install-file -DgroupId=org.apache.mahout
-DartifactId=mahout-core -Dversion=0.2-SNAPSHOT -Dpackaging=jar

      mvn deploy:deploy-file -DgroupId=org.apache.mahout
-DartifactId=mahout-core -Dversion=0.2-SNAPSHOT -Dpackaging=jar
-Dfile=/path/to/file -Durl=[url] -DrepositoryId=[id]

  Path to dependency:
      1) org.apache.mahout:mahout-examples:jar:0.2-SNAPSHOT
      2) org.apache.mahout:mahout-core:jar:0.2-SNAPSHOT

1 required artifact is missing.

for artifact:

from the specified remote repositories:
  Apache snapshots (, (,
  central (

I'm stuck at this point on how to interpret the error instructions.  Of the
recommended Maven options, which is the most reliable solution to getting
the missing artifact?  Also, how do I determine the values for the
parameters?    I don't have enough knowledge of Maven to analyze this on my
own, so if this is a standard problem, some Google search terms on the
relevant aspect of Maven would be appreciated.

Thank you.