mahout-user mailing list archives

From Sean Owen <sro...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: how to use multiple preference values in Mahout?
Date Tue, 23 Jun 2009 20:33:26 GMT
(Copying my reply from mahout-dev)

This is a great question. The short answer is that this sort of thing
is currently outside the scope of the collaborative filtering portion
of Mahout.

That is, the library assumes you have, as input already, some
'preference' value for users and items. It takes it from there. It
says nothing about how you come up with those preference values.

Now, you could compute some preference value based on any information
you like. For example, you could write a script that combines rating,
purchase history, demographics, in some way that you think is useful,
to produce 'preference' values. Then the library can help you from
there.

The reason the library can't really help you with producing a
preference is that it is so domain-specific, so tied to the problem
you are solving and the data you have. There are few general
solutions. (But I think it would make an interesting sister project,
or new module, to implement some means of inferring preferences!)