mahout-user mailing list archives

From Sean Owen <sro...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Would like some recommendation, need advice
Date Mon, 22 Jun 2009 21:01:19 GMT
On Mon, Jun 22, 2009 at 4:50 PM, charlysf<charles.ruelle@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thank you very much, in this case, I will give the best relevant articles,
> but not really some new recommendations, in this case, I maybe should make
> some recommendations about new subjects for an user, with an User Based
> recommendation, and then make the same to retrieve linked articles.

Yes you could use the framework to recommend subjects, rather than
items, to users. Or, to recommend items to subjects. Anything could be
construed as a recommendation problem. I think it's interesting to
experiment with these to see what kind of results you get.

> That's my first part, implicit recommendation, and for explicit
> recommendation, i have a user_feedback table, with : user_id, article_id,
> rating, so for that this is very common and not a problem.
>
> I'm wondering if I should choose a user based or an item basis engine for
> that, what is your advice ?

If you have more users than items, I would try a user-based
recommender. And vice versa.

You should also try the SlopeOneRecommender.

I think it's worthwhile to try many variations and see which performs
best. You can use the "Evaluator" classes to decide how well the
recommenders are predicting ratings.