mahout-user mailing list archives

From Sean Owen <sro...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Taste] Sanity Check and Questions
Date Mon, 22 Jun 2009 01:01:31 GMT
I can say I think I get the gist of what these approaches are and why
they work but would need time to study to really understand!

I am particularly intrigued at the moment by this last question, of
how to pick a sample of very different items. Is the idea here that
you look at items as vectors of preferences, and try to find the
most-orthogonal subset of them? Gram-Schmidt would be changing the
vectors rather than selecting them, so I am curious how these two
things connect. It is a really good problem I think.