mahout-user mailing list archives

From Sean Owen <sro...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Taste] Sanity Check and Questions
Date Fri, 19 Jun 2009 12:47:57 GMT
On Fri, Jun 19, 2009 at 8:40 AM, Grant Ingersoll<gsingers@apache.org> wrote:
> I don't know, "Programming Collective Intelligence" (page 17) seems to
> suggest transposing as being pretty useful for product-product suggestions.
>  I suppose, however, that it really is just getting the neighborhood then
> and not going the extra step of getting items (er users in this case).
>
> The main cost is in having a second model in memory, I suppose.

Yes, I mean, it works. I think they were showing this approach for
simplicity and brevity. By turning a user-based recommender on its
side you kind of get an item-based recommender, which is computing
item-item similarities under the hood, and indeed that is the basis of
what you want. My suggestion a) just goes straight to that.