mahout-user mailing list archives

From Ted Dunning <ted.dunn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: k-Means questions
Date Fri, 26 Jun 2009 02:17:31 GMT
Rephrasing:

Option 1) pick a single (or three) random input vector as the initial
position of each centroid

Option 2) assign every input vector to some centroid at random and compute
the resulting centroids

Option (1) is like (2), but it only assigns k input vectors while option (2)
assigns all input vectors to some cluster.  Many people use (2), but (1)
generally works better for me.