mahout-user mailing list archives

From Grant Ingersoll <>
Subject Re: [Taste] Sanity Check and Questions
Date Thu, 18 Jun 2009 15:54:05 GMT

On Jun 18, 2009, at 11:42 AM, Sean Owen wrote:
> That is I imagine the estimated pref value of all the other 9 is
> notably
> lower. In practice therefore you might choose to chop off recs whose
> estimated pref is below a certain value, or maybe truncate the list
> when the
> estimate from one to the next drops significantly.
> Am I right? If so, one response is that this funky behavior is
> mostly a
> function of the particular data you have constructed.

Actually, I get all recs from the new user.  If I have a less overlap
between the 'philes, then some of the other users start to creep in.
So, I think I see what is going on and it makes sense.

Agreed, the problem is due to the construction of the data, but I
think the approach as a whole is interesting.  It might behoove me to
have the 'philes rate some other data, too, just to throw more in the