mahout-user mailing list archives

From Jack Tanner <i...@hotmail.com>
Subject RE: taste-web example booboo
Date Mon, 01 Jun 2009 17:19:58 GMT

Sean, good call! Removing /tmp/movies* and /tmp/ratings* got the demo to work. Thank you for
your help.

> Date: Mon, 1 Jun 2009 17:52:50 +0100
> Subject: Re: taste-web example booboo
> From: srowen@gmail.com
> To: mahout-user@lucene.apache.org
>
> What you would need to do is debug
> org.apache.mahout.cf.taste.example.grouplens.GroupLensDataModel, which
> is under examples/src. The skeleton web application that gets created
> as part of this deployment target will take care of initializing the
> Recommender, which should init this in turn. The key part is where it
> delegates to the FileDataModel constructor, I think (line 53);
> something is not going right around there.
>
> One idea comes to mind: look in your machine's temp directory for
> files starting with 'ratings' or 'movies' and delete them if they
> exist and try again.
>
> I don't mind sifting through a lot of log output, but the part
> generated by this code should be relatively small... should be
> messages about initializing FileDataModel somewhere in there, with
> clues perhaps.
>

> On Mon, Jun 1, 2009 at 5:06 PM, Jack Tanner  wrote:
>>
>> Right. I'm happy to do debugging and/or send log files... But there's a ton printed
to stdout. So, with respect to the 11 steps at http://lucene.apache.org/mahout/taste.html#demo
, which step produces the DataModel? And where in the file system is it supposed to live?

>>> Date: Mon, 1 Jun 2009 16:43:43 +0100
>>> Subject: Re: RE: taste-web example booboo
>>> From: srowen@gmail.com
>>> To: mahout-user@lucene.apache.org
>>>
>>> Yes that is the same error, but more descriptive now.
>>>
>>> There should be log output from the code on stdout - I wonder what that
>>> shows? Turning the output level down to FINE would show even more.
>>>
>>> You can call methods on DataModel to check its state and print the result. I
>>> am pretty sure you will find it loaded nothing for some reason. The file is
>>> there, but... hmm. I am having trouble guessing how it succeeds but then has
>>> no data. Some more log output - or if you care to, some debugging - is the
>>> next step.
>>>
>>> Sean
>>>
>>> On Jun 1, 2009 4:32 PM, "Jack Tanner"  wrote:
>>>

>>> This still doesn't work for me off trunk. :( The new error is "dataModel has
>>> no items". When is the data model supposed to be generated? How can I check
>>> whether it has items or not?
>>>
>>> This is on Fedora 10, maven 2.1.0.
>>> HTTP ERROR: 500dataModel has no items
>>> RequestURI=/mahout-taste-webapp/RecommenderServletCaused
>>> by:java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: dataModel has no items
>>> at
>>> org.apache.mahout.cf.taste.impl.recommender.slopeone.MemoryDiffStorage.(MemoryDiffStorage.java:101)
>>>
>>> at
>>> org.apache.mahout.cf.taste.impl.recommender.slopeone.SlopeOneRecommender.(SlopeOneRecommender.ja...
>>> at
>>> org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler.handle(ServletHandler.java:365)
>>> at
>>> org.mortbay.jetty.security.ConstraintsSecurityHandler.handle(ConstraintsSecurityHandler.java:220)
>>>
>>> at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.SessionHandler.handle(SessionHandler.java:181)
>>> at
>>> org.mortbay.jetty.handler.ContextHandler.handle(ContextHandler.java:822)
>>> at
>>> org.mortbay.jetty.webapp.WebAppContext.handle(WebAppContext.java:305)
>>> at
>>> org.mortbay.jetty.handler.ContextHandlerCollection.handle(ContextHandlerCollection.java:229)
>>> at
>>> org.mortbay.jetty.handler.HandlerCollection.handle(HandlerCollection.java:113)
>>>
>>> at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.HandlerWrapper.handle(HandlerWrapper.java:152)
>>> at org.mortbay.jetty.S...
>>> at
>>> org.mortbay.jetty.HttpConnection.handleRequest(HttpConnection.java:550)
>>> at